Entry & Residence Visa Types

Hamburg Welcome Portal – Entry and Residence – Third Countries Citizens – Visa Types

If you don’t have the nationality of the EU, the EEA or Switzerland, you need a visa for your stay in Germany. This visa must be applied for in the German embassy or consulate in your home country before the entry.

There are two types of visas:

Schengen Visa

The Schengen Visa is valid for short stays (up to 90 days per any 180 days). With this visa you are allowed to stay within the whole Schengen area.

National Visa

The National Visa is valid for entry to Germany in order to apply for permanent residence (over 90 days) in Germany. It is valid for three months. In accordance with the purpose of residence, then a long-term residence permit will be issued by the responsible foreign authorities in Germany.

You can apply for an entry visa for the following reasons:

  • Studies / Conferral of a doctorate
  • Work
  • Job search
  • Apprenticeship
  • Internship
  • Research
  • Family reunification
  • Self-employment

Nationals of Australia, Israel, Japan, Canada, Republic of Korea, New Zealand or USA can travel without a visa to Germany. You may stay here 90 days to apply for your residence permit locally.