Freie und Hansestadt Hamburg

Studying & Working Residence Permit for Students

Students who are not citizens of the EU / EEA States or Switzerland and wish to stay longer than 90 days in Germany, have to apply for a residence permit. Other students don’t need a residence permit.

Hamburg Welcome Portal English – Career – Studying – Residence Permit for Students

elektronischer Aufenthaltstitel (eAT)

The residence permit can be granted for a period of one year and a maximum of two years. The study should serve as the main purpose of the stay. It is not enough to attend an evening, weekend or distance university.

While studying, you can work 120 days, or 240 half days and exercise student jobs.

If you have successfully completed your studies, you can work in a job that corresponds to your university degree or apply for a residence permit for job search.