Freie und Hansestadt Hamburg
Studying & Working Checklist for Moving to Hamburg
If you have decided to study in Hamburg, there are a number of topics you have to keep in mind when moving here.
Hamburg Welcome Portal English – Studying & Working – Studying – Checklist for Moving to Hamburg
1. Plan the date when you intend to arrive! You should take into account the time it will take to process your visa, as well as the induction events scheduled by your college or university for first-year students.
2. Do not forget to bring the following documents with you:
- School leaving certificate (officially certified copies, in the language of your own country and in translation). A provisional list of marks (results slip) is not usually sufficient.
- Certificate showing that you have passed an examination qualifying you for a course of university study, if applicable (officially certified copies)
- Certificates showing the courses you have taken, with marks, if applicable (officially certified copies, in the language of your own country and in translation)
- Degree certificates with a summary of marks obtained, if applicable (officially certified copies, in the language of your own country and in translation)
- Certificate showing you have passed the “Feststellungsprüfung” assessment test at a Studienkolleg outside Hamburg, if applicable (officially certified copy)
- Health insurance documents, if these apply during your period of study in Hamburg
3. To obtain a visa and a residence permit, you need to show proof that you have financial means of support at least for the first year of your studies.
Take steps in good time to transfer your funds to an account you can use in Germany. Remember that at the start of your course you will have to make a number of large payments.
Where are you going to live in Hamburg on arrival? Studierendenwerk Hamburg will help you look for accommodation. You can apply before you enter the country.