Freie und Hansestadt Hamburg

Studying & Working Residence Permit for Student’s Family Members

If you hold a valid residence permit, it is possible to obtain a residence permit for a spouse and under-aged unmarried children, for the duration of your studies. Your family members can even persue jobs with this residence permit.

Hamburg Welcome Portal English – Career – Studying – Residence Permit for Student’s Family Members

You must provide proof of adequate accommodation facilities and reliable means of providing for all family members during their stay without resorting to social assistance.

Please note that the permission must be obtained before your family members arrive in the country.

The following documents will periodically be needed for the issue of a residence permit:

  • completed application form
  • passport
  • 1 biometrical picture (35 x 45 mm, not older than 6 month)
  • confirmation of registration or completed registration form incl. a confirmation of the landlord
  • rental agreement
  • confirmation of continuous health insurance coverage
  • birth certificate with apostille or legalization (only from the children)
  • marriage certificate with apostille or legalization
  • proof of financing
  • fee of max. 121 €

For more information please contact the Hamburg Welcome Center or your responsible Foreigner’s Registration Office (Ausländerbehörde)