Ministry of Labour, Social, Family Affairs and Integration

Study & Research Working while Studying

Nearly two thirds of all students work to finance their studies. Inform yourself about the regulations for foreign students.

Working while Studying - Hamburg Welcome Portal

Students from the EU, the EEA and Switzerland

There are no restrictions for students from the EU, the EEA or Switzerland. They are treated just like German students and have free access to the German labour market.

International Students

Foreign students who are not national citizens of a EU or EEA State or Switzerland can generally work 120 full or 240 half days per year. For this they don’t need an approval from the German Employment Agency (Agentur für Arbeit). However, international students may not work self-employed or as freelancers.

If you attend a language course or study at the Studienkolleg, the rules for you are more restrictive than for regularly enrolled students. You are allowed to work only with the approval from the Foreigners Office and the Employment Agency – and only during the semester break.

An internship counts as a regular job – every day of the internship is deducted from the 120 full or 240 half days. The only exceptions are work placements that are a compulsory part of your studies.

Job Search

There are various possibilities for students in Hamburg to find a job: