Ministry of Labour, Social, Family Affairs and Integration

Residence Residence Permit for Students

If you want to study in Germany, you need a residence permit for the purpose of studying. This does not apply to nationals of the member states of the European Union (EU) or the European Economic Area (EEA). They enjoy the unlimited freedom of movement in Germany.

Residence Permit for Students - Hamburg Welcome Portal

For the issue of the residence permit it is necessary that you are enrolled at a state or state-recognised university or similar educational institution.

You can also apply for a residence permit for the purpose of studying when you attend a language course or a study preparatory course (Studienkolleg).

The study must be the main purpose of the stay. It is not enough to attend an evening, weekend or distance study course.

While studying, you can work 120 days or 240 half days and exercise student jobs.

You can apply for a residence permit for the purpose of studying at your relevant immigration authority or the Hamburg Welcome Center. They will give you more information about the application process.


  • Entry with a German visa for the purpose of studying - the German Mission Abroad in your home country is responsible for issuing visas.
    Exception: Nationals of Australia, Israel, Japan, Canada, the Republic of Korea, New Zealand, Brazil and the United States of America can enter without a visa.
  • Letter of admission / enrolment certificate of the education institution
  • Proof of financing (720 Euro per month or 8,640 Euro for one year) or presentation of a formal obligation
  • Sufficient health insurance

If you have successfully completed your studies, you can work in a job that corresponds to your university degree or apply for a residence permit for job search.

Information about the application of your residence permit can be found in section Forms.