Ministry of Labour, Social, Family Affairs and Integration

Residence The EU Blue Card

If you hold an academic degree and want to work in accordance with the qualifications, you can benefit from facilitated requirements for a long-term stay in Germany.

EU Blue Card - Hamburg Welcome Portal

If you hold a German or recognized foreign university degree and wish to start a work corresponding to your qualification, you can apply for the EU Blue Card. This is a maximum four-year residence permit.

Already after 33 months of work you can apply for a settlement permit. With sufficient German language skills (level B1), this period is shortened to 21 months.

vergrößern Blaue Karte EU / EU Blue Card Blaue Karte EU / EU Blue Card (Bild: BAMF) ​​​​​​​You can apply for the EU Blue Card residence permit at the Hamburg Welcome Center or alternatively at your relevant immigration authority.

Citizens of the Member States of the European Union (EU) or the European Economic Area (EEA) enjoy unlimited freedom of movement in Germany and do not need to apply for a residence permit.


  • Entry with a German visa for employment
  • Exception: Nationals of Australia, Israel, Japan, Canada, the Republic of Korea, New Zealand and the United States of America can enter without a visa and apply for the residence permit in Germany.
  • Recognised university degree
  • Employment contract or a binding job offer
  • Annual minimum gross salary of 52,000 Euro or 40,560 Euro for natural scientists, mathematicians and engineers, as well as doctors and IT specialists
  • Sufficient health insurance (Annex 6)

Information about the application of your residence permit can be found in section Forms.