Ministry of Labour, Social, Family Affairs and Integration
Residence The EU Blue Card
If you hold a German or recognised foreign university degree and wish to start a work corresponding to your qualification, you can apply for the EU Blue Card. This is a maximum four-year residence permit.
Hamburg Welcome Portal – Arrival – Residence – EU Blue Card
Already after 33 months of work you can apply for a settlement permit. With sufficient German language skills (level B1), this period is shortened to 21 months.
- Entry with a German visa for employment
- Exception: Nationals of Australia, Israel, Japan, Canada, the Republic of Korea, New Zealand and the United States of America can enter without a visa.
- Recognised university degree
- Employment contract or a binding job offer
- Annual minimum gross salary of 50,800 Euro or 39,624 Euro for natural scientists, mathematicians and engineers, as well as doctors and IT specialists
- Sufficient health insurance (Annex 6)
Forms required for the application are available on the Hamburg Welcome Center page “forms”.