Ministry of Labour, Social, Family Affairs and Integration

Residence Residence Permit for Employment

When you want to live and work in Germany, you need a residence permit with a work permit. This does not apply to nationals of the member states of the European Union (EU) or the European Economic Area (EEA). They enjoy the unlimited freedom of movement in Germany.

Residence Permit for Employment - Hamburg Welcome Portal

For the granting of the residence permit for employment, the consent of the Federal Employment Agency is necessary. Such a residence permit will only be issued if there is a specific job offer.

You can apply for a residence permit for employment at your relevant immigration authority or the Hamburg Welcome Center. They will give you more information about the application process.


  • Entry with a German visa for the purpose of employment - the German Mission Abroad in your home country is responsible for issuing visas.
    Exception: Nationals of Australia, Israel, Japan, Canada, the Republic of Korea, New Zealand and the United States of America can enter without a visa.
  • Offer of employment
  • Workplace and job description from the employer
  • Sufficient health insurance

It is important to note, however, that you may not commence your intended employment until you have the residence permit.​​​​​​​