Ministry of Labour, Social, Family Affairs and Integration

Residence Residence Permit for Students

If you want to study in Germany, you need a residence permit for the purpose of studying.

Residence Permit for Students - Hamburg Welcome Portal

To get a residence permit, you must be admitted by a state or state-recognised university or similar educational institution. The study must be the main purpose of your stay in Germany. It is not enough to attend an evening, weekend or distance study course.

If you have not yet an enrolment confirmation, you may apply for a residence permit for the purpose of study application. As a study applicant you may not exceed nine months.  You can also apply for a residence permit for the purpose of studying if you attend a pre-study language course or a study preparatory course (Studienkolleg).

While studying, you can work 120 days or 240 half days and exercise student jobs.

After you have successfully completed your studies, you can work in a job that corresponds to your university degree or apply for a residence permit for job search.

Nationals of the member states of the European Union (EU) or the European Economic Area (EEA) do not need a residence permit for their job search. They enjoy unlimited freedom of movement in Germany.


  • Entry with a German visa for the purpose of studying – the German Mission Abroad in your home country is responsible for issuing visas.
  • Exception: Nationals of Australia, Israel, Japan, Canada, the Republic of Korea, New Zealand, the United States of America and Brazil can enter without a visa.
  • Letter of admission / enrolment certificate of the education institution
  • Proof of financing (720 Euro per month or 8,640 Euro for one year) or presentation of a Declaration of Commitment
  • Sufficient health insurance

You can apply for a residence permit for the purpose of studying at your relevant immigration authority or the Hamburg Welcome Center. You can find information on the required documents for application on this website in the section forms.

Intra-EU mobility for students for up to 360 days

If you have a residence permit for the purpose of studying in another EU member state and want to pursue part of your studies in Germany, you may stay and study here without German residence title for up to 360 days.

Your host educational institution must only notify the National Contact Point at the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees (BAMF). This notification must be submitted as soon as the host educational institution has knowledge of your intention to study in Germany. If accepted, the Federal Office issues you a certificate for short-term EU mobility for the purpose of studying in Germany. With this certificate, you may enter Germany at any time during the validity of your residence title. If the Federal Office does not deny your application or does not send the certificate within 30 days, you may enter and stay in Germany without this document.


  • You have a residence title for the purpose of studying issued by another EU member state (in accordance with EU Directive 2016/801), valid for the full period of your intended stay in Germany.
  • Proof, that a part of your studies shall be spent at an educational institution in Germany, because you participate in a Union or multilateral programme incorporating mobility measures or because an agreement exists between the education institutions involved
  • Proof of admission to the host education institution in Germany
  • a recognised, valid passport or replacement passport
  • Proof, that you can finance your subsistence and you have sufficient health insurance