Ministry of Labour, Social, Family Affairs and Integration

Kids & Family Supplementary Child Allowance

Hamburg Welcome Portal – Living - Kids & Family – Supplementary Child Allowance

The German state supports families with a low income by means of the Supplementary Child Allowance (Kinderzuschlag).

Who gets Supplementary Child Allowance?

Anyone who has children in Germany and lives in Germany is entitled to Supplementary Child Allowance.

Citizens of EU/EEA Member States and Switzerland are also entitled to Supplementary Child Allowance if they are gainfully employed in Germany or live in Germany.

Other foreigners are entitled to supplementary child allowance if they have a permanent residence permit or a residence permit with permission to work.

In addition, the following conditions must be met:

  • Your unmarried children are under 25 years old and live with you in the same household.
  • Your income and assets are sufficient for the parents to live on, but not enough to support the children as well.
  • You are not entitled to social welfare benefits (Sozialhilfe) or unemployment benefit II.

How much Supplementary Child Allowance will I receive?

The level of the Supplementary Child Allowance depends on the parents’ income and assets. It can be a maximum of 170 € per child per month.


You need to apply for Supplementary Child Allowance in writing at the local Familienkasse.

Familienkasse Nord
Nagelsweg 9
20097 Hamburg
For employed persons additionally Thursday 4 p.m. – 6 p.m.

Consultation & Information

Phone: 0800 4 5555 30 (free of charge)
Internet: (site in German language)

Post address
Familienkasse Nord, 20069 Hamburg