Ministry of Labour, Social, Family Affairs and Integration
Entry Declarations of Commitment
Whilst submitting a Declaration of Commitment you can enable foreign nationals to enter Germany for a short-term visit or a long-term stay.
Declarations of Commitment – Hamburg Welcome Portal
Foreign nationals won’t receive an entry visa to Germany if they cannot prove having enough financial resources to cover their living costs during the stay in Germany on their own. Nevertheless, you can file a Declaration of Commitment („Verpflichtungserklärung“) in order that a foreign national will be allowed to enter Germany though. During the visa application process, the Declaration of Commitment must be presented to the German mission abroad.
Extent of the obligation
When filing a Declaration of Commitment you agree to be liable for all the costs your guest causes in Germany and cannot pay herself or himself.
These are, for example,
- living costs (catering, accommodation, clothes)
- costs for medical treatments and cases of care dependency (proof of sufficient health and nursing care insurance cover necessary)
- costs for repatriation to the country of origin (just if your guest refuses to leave Germany voluntarily)
A Declaration of Commitment generally covers a period of up to five years.
You can only make a Declaration of Commitment when you have sufficient income on your own and do not receive any governmental support. Normally, you will be asked to present appropriate verifications (e.g. proofs of living space, income and insurances). If you do not have enough income on your own, a Declaration of Commitment can also be submitted jointly by two or more persons.
In case you do not hold a citizenship of any EU member state, filing a Declaration of Commitment requires furthermore that you are in possession of a residence permit whose validity exceeds your guest’s visit duration
Submitting a Declaration of Commitment
(1) Declarations of Commitment for a short-term stay of up to 90 days
- Please address yourself either to the Customer Service Center that is responsible for your residence place here in Hamburg or to the Hamburg Welcome Center. In order to do so you always need to arrange an appointment in advance.
(2) Declarations of Commitment for a stay of more than 3 months
- Declarations of Commitment for long-term stays must be issued to your local district immigration authority or to the Hamburg Welcome Center. If you want to submit a Declaration of Commitment to the staff of the Hamburg Welcome Center, a prior appointment is necessary.
Procedure & Documents
A Declaration of Commitment can only be made in person and must be submitted to the relevant authority in written form. The administration fee is 29 Euro.
Therefore the following information and documents are required:
- your guest’s exact personal details (the full name, birth date and birth place, home address abroad, the passport serial number would also be desirable)
- your valid ID card or passport and – where applicable – your valid residence permit
- expected costs for accommodation as well as a proof of sufficient health insurance for your guest
Furthermore to prove your financial standing:
- in case you are an employee: pay slips of the recent 3 months (where appropriate also notices of entitlement to Child Benefit, Child Supplement or Parental Allowance)
- in case you are a pensioner: a pension notice stating the current amount of your monthly pension
- in case you are a self-employed worker or freelancer: last tax bill and current profit and loss account or any other document stating your monthly net income or current monthly earnings (Bank statements or passbooks only won’t be sufficient!)
Depending on the individual case further documents and proofs can be necessary.