Ministry of Labour, Social, Family Affairs and Integration

Residence Residence Permit for Research

If you want to start a research activity in Germany, you must apply for a residence permit for the purpose of research.

Residence Permit for Research – Hamburg Welcome Portal

The residence permit for research purposes will be issued for at least one year and can be extended upon application. If the research project is carried out in a shorter period, the residence permit will be limited to the duration of the research project. Please apply for the residence permit for the purpose of research at your relevant immigration authority

Citizens of the Member States of the European Union (EU) or the European Economic Area (EEA) enjoy unlimited freedom of movement in Germany and do not need to apply for a residence permit.


  • Entry with a German visa for research. This visa must be applied for in the German Mission Abroad in your home country. Exception: Nationals of Australia, Israel, Japan, Canada, the Republic of Korea, New Zealand and the United States of America can enter without a visa.
  • You can present a hosting agreement or a contract concluded with the hosting research organisation.
  • The research organisation has committed to pay the costs that could result from a possibly illegal residence after the hosting agreement for a period of up to six months. This requirement may be waived if the research organisation is mainly financed by public funds or the research project is of particular public interest.
  • Sufficient health insurance. (Annex 6)

The main forms for the application are available on our page “forms”.